“The Leadership Challenge” leadership development framework grew from rigorous research first began in 1982 when Jim Kouzes and Barry Posner set out to understand those times when leaders performed at their personal best. Their methodology consisted of approaching leadership as a measurable, learnable, and teachable set of behaviors. They conducted hundreds of interviews and reviewed hundreds of cases studies and survey questionnaires. What emerged were five (5) fundamental practices common to extraordinary leadership achievements (Think of these as one of our clients recently called them the “universal truths when it comes to leadership.” Hence “The Leadership Challenge” leadership development framework was established.
Now known worldwide as the most practical model of leadership development, The Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership® continues to prove its effectiveness in cultivating and liberating the leadership potential in anyone—at any level, in any organization—who chooses to accept the challenge to lead. You see, Kouzes and Posner determined what we long knew to be true: Leadership is not about personality; it’s about behavior—an observable set of skills and abilities. In thousands of stories, across cultures, differing genders, ages, and many other variables these “Personal Best” stories revealed similar patterns of behavior. In fact, they discovered that when leaders are at their personal best there are five core practices common to all… They are:
- Model the Way
- Inspire a Shared Vision
- Challenge the Process
- Enable Others to Act
- Encourage the Heart (last but certainly not least!)
So what is “The Leadership Challenge” Leadership Development Opportunity?
- A best-selling book by Jim Kouzes and Barry Posner heralded worldwide as the most trusted and validated source on becoming a better leader.
- The Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership® illuminated in The Leadership Challenge and recognized as the standard for what leaders do when they are at their personal best.
- The Leadership Practices Inventory® or LPI, a 360 degree instrument that gives participants a way to measure improvement in the frequency of their leadership behaviors.
- Workshop and Facilitator Training (or Train-the-Trainer) programs that teach individuals how to improve their own and their team’s performance (or that of their organization).
- A complete suite of teaching-learning products that includes books, workbooks, videos and webinars for leaders at every level.
And, it’s people—a global network of dedicated professionals, committed to developing the leadership potential in everyone… Simply leadership development at it’s finest!
The Leadership Challenge by Kouzes and Posner